21 July 2011

Artist Interview: Eden Creative Studio

 Living on the East Coast but from the West Coast, is a graphic designer pumping out the finest fine art prints and stationery...just like a waterfall in spring. Her style is attractive, clever, and modern and her color choice (and typography!!!!!) is irresistible but also customizable. 




Customizable you say? Why, yes! Completely! Have an up'n'coming party with nothing out there (invitation-wise) that fits your theme? Getting married? Having a baby? Want stationery? Need thank you cards for all those crazy gifts you got? Eden Creative Studio may be just the lady you need to talk to.


Without any further rambling, meet Eden of Eden Creative Studio:
 
1. Who are you/tell us a bit about yourself?
I’m the Eden behind Eden Creative Studio, Eden Wedding Studio and Little Eden Studio! I live in Olney, Maryland but I hail from Santa Monica, California and am a California girl at heart.

After college, I spent 15 years working in corporate marketing where I gravitated toward anything graphic design-related in my role. I grew up taking art classes so I had somewhat of a foundation in art. I took courses in Photoshop, Illustrator and Quark to acquire technical know-how.

In addition to my Etsy shop, I provide graphic design and marketing services for local and national corporate clients.

2. What are some of your favorite things to do?
Outside of Eden Creative Studio, I enjoy spending time with my husband and our four cats acquired through my volunteer work at a local animal shelter. For the past two years I have been enrolled in a program to become a sign language interpreter. I am a vegetarian, I regularly practice yoga, and I love to read. My guilty pleasures are watching daytime TV while I’m working and I love the reality shows on Bravo.




3. What three words best describe your personality?
Determined, anxious, creative.

4. How would you describe your artistic style?
Bipolar – I tend toward really clean and modern or overly ornate and vintage.

5. What kinds of things do you make and sell?
I design and sell stationery and art prints.




6. If you had to be trapped in a book, which one would it be and why?
That’s tough! All the books I’ve read recently have included such angst-ridden characters. I think I’d like to stick with my own life.

7. Who or what inspires you the most?

I think artists find inspiration all over. You almost can’t hide from it, nor can you turn it off. When I see something beautiful, something just clicks inside of me. I might see a logo on a grocery bag or a local farm landscape and find inspiration from that. I’m also a pop culture junkie and am often inspired by trends in fashion and advertising.


I love forks....no joke...I prefer them over spoons and knives.


8. What drew you to graphic design?
I like graphic design because it’s a tool that can allow me to be very precise in my art. When I work in other mediums, there is no undo, or delete. I’m too much of a perfectionist and too critical of my own work not to be able to quickly change it if I don’t like it.

9. Was it scary to start your own design firm?

Heck yeah! That’s why it took me eight years of thinking about it to pull the trigger. And that was only after I was laid off and realized, if not now, when? And to be honest, it’s still scary!



10. What words of wisdom could you give to people in a similar position to yours in that time or with dreams of beginning their own design firm?
Keep your day job but start making overtures toward what you want to do. You need the money of the full time gig which means you only have so much time to focus on your dream, but you can always start small. Make a website, order business cards, get the word out. Build your business until you’re so busy you don’t have any choice but to quit and do it full time.



11. What do you want to be when you grow up?
For once in my life I feel like I’m doing exactly what I’m supposed to be – hey, does that make me a grown up?


Shop from or Contact Eden by clicking---------> HERE

(Much thanks to Eden for you willingness to be interviewed!! It was a pleasure!)
Have a great one, folks. Thanks for tuning in. Until next time...

love, Jonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...