26 July 2011

Artist Interview: Miguel Duran

Now, this is an interview near and dear to my heart. Miguel is a personal friend that I met about 3 years in art class at Palomar College. The friendship started out as a fun acquaintance-ship...admirers of each others work from a distance. By the end of the semester we were pretty comfortable with one another but not to the point of hang-out status. As the next semesters came, specifically in drawing 2, our professor (Doug Durant) commented on Miguel's last name. He said something along the lines of Duran being a good last name...meaning firm and enduring...him knowing this because if you add a "T" to Duran you get Durant...similar roots. I thought that was really neat. Anyhow, the acquaintance-ship continued until I figured out who Miguel was dating, Yeni, this adorable, amazing, talented, and incredible woman who also was in our art classes and was also someone I was better friends with. After Palomar we all seemed to click into sync and we went out for a fun night filled with dumplings, tea station, and bowling...and now here we are! Without further anticipation, friends, meet Miguel Duran:

 
1. Who are you/tell us a bit about yourself?
Who am I? I’m a risk taker with explorative tendencies. However, I believe I have a split personality. There’s my everyday normal self and then there’s the third grader inside of me who is a big time joker, but who I attribute 70% of my creativity too, although he can be very immature.

Wave Current

2. What are some of your favorite things to do?
Going fast is my thing which I make possible with anything that has wheels. On this next one I get a lot of hate, because I’m a self thought Martial artist and I’m very serious about it. When I tell this to people nobody takes me seriously probably because I’m not very tall and kind of skinny. But the number one thing I love doing is watching the movies, baby. For me movies tend to be a big source of inspiration and motivation. I try not to remember actor’s names because as soon as I start recognizing actors it lessens the movie experience for me. I’m just trying to show you how devoted I am to my movie watching experience. O and I also like to make art mainly paintings.
Tormented

Ocean Spill

3. What three words best describe your personality?
Awkward, Joker, Sensitive

4. How would you describe your artistic style?
My artistic style is more of a blend of the women figure and online substances. I’m interested in the net, because for me it brings interesting and relatively new subject matter that I can use in my work. I strive to do something new within painting, although I never really feel like I accomplish this . I’m an explorer baby! 

5. If you had to be trapped in a movie, which one would it be and why?
O my god, Yes! Trapped that means being stuck in there for a while. Definitely not a Horror or thriller that’s only good short term. It would have to be the movie Basquiat, because both Andy Warhol and Basquiat would be there. Based on the portrayal of Andy’s goofy personality I would love to have an endless conversation with him.

6. Who or what inspires you the most?
I stand proud by the person who inspires me the most, because he provided a lot of needed motivation that fueled me throughout my life. And the fact that he is a fictional character does not matter because his philosophy is real. My hero and person who inspired me the most in life is Naruto a cartoon character.

7. What drew you to creating?
The absence of a good father figure….sorry to get all heavy on everyone.

Orange-V (2)

8. Who is your role model?
I probably have about 3 major role models. First Audrey Kawasaki a contemporary artist who after 2 years at Pratt institute quit and moved back to LA because with her strong figurative style she found herself at odds in NY conceptual art world. Her art is amazing and her career as well. Then Jeff Koons who I like for his way of thinking, because he became a broker after art school and with the money he made he was able to launch his career to the point of not just having a studio but a factory in which people basically make his art for him. And Takashi Murakami whose art and way of thinking I like. He has a factory, created his own movement called Superflat, and I love the way he went all out in the way he introduced Manga and Anime into the fine art world.

9. What words of wisdom could would you give to aspiring create-tees?
When bad things happen take it easy, and figure out what’s going to make you happy in life then go all out in pursuing that happiness. 
Wave Current in Room
 
10. What do you want to be when you grow up? 
A ninja/detective/film maker/writer/Kung Fu master…..well it’s not really what I want to be when I grow up, but where I want to live when I grow up. I would definitely love to live in Japans country side and make art all day without any worries.

 You can see more of Miguel Duran's work here:
Miguel's Art and here miguelduran.webs.com

Much thanks to Miguel for his continued friendship. Thank you also for your interest in being interviewed. You are amazing, Miguel. Truly.

<3 Jonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...