11 July 2011

Artist Interview: Hook Line Sinker

Oklahoma City, kids, shall now be known as a hub of creativity. Within those city limits lives a lady full of passion and great ideas.
This lady not only makes stunning jewelry for her shop Hook Line Sinker, she co-owns No Regrets Tattoo in addition to running her own art gallery!!!!

Just like a fish in the sea, my eyes were drawn to to the lures used in her jewelry. Compositionally, her pieces are fantastic and I absolutely love the reuse of the lures in combo with chains and beads. Her work has that true vintage feel but it is painted in that modern edge which makes her work irresistible.


Without further ado, my friends,  meet Ashely of Hook Line Sinker.
1. Who are you/tell us a bit about yourself?
My name is Ashley Smith. I just turned 30...not scared. I dropped out of design college to start tattooing. I've been tattooing for about 4 years now. I love my job but I always want more and don't want to feel "stuck" in one place. I took most of last year off to travel, camp, fish and learned a lot about life. Fishing is what inspired my jewelry. I also love to do graphic design and paint. Tattooing takes up most of my time but I recently opened up my art studio space to show other artists work monthly and opened it up for bands to play. Within my art studio (Brass Bell Studios) me and my boyfriend do bicycle builds and repairs. I never have a day off and would work 8 days a week if possible.

2. What are some of your favorite things to do?
Riding my bike, thrifting, doodling, watercolor and hanging out with my dogs and a good beer.



3. What three words best describe your personality?
OCD, ADD, NBA (Go THUNDER!)


4. How would you describe your artistic style?
I am very inspired by the simplicity of "old school" tattoos. I love artists going all the way from Sailor Jerry Collins to the more modern style of Mike Giant.


5. What kinds of things do you make and sell?
I am currently selling my HOOK LINE SINKER jewelry on Etsy and a few local shops in Oklahoma City. The line includes necklaces, earrings, bracelets and key chains. I am always looking for new ideas to expand my line and make it more "unisex." Just recently I took on a partner on my Etsy, Shift7Collective. Shift7 is ran by a great friend, Andrea Duncan. She is an amazing seamstress and is currently making shopping bag, bike totes. Her inspiration came from the bike side of my art studio. We are hoping to do more bike related products with her in the future.




6. If you had to be trapped in a book, which one would it be and why?
Where's Waldo. I just want to hide out sometimes...


7. What is your favorite color and why?
Any form of turquoise or seafoam green. It reminds me of an area I wish I grew up in.

8. Who or what inspires you the most?
Unfortunately my exboyfriend ended up being crazy...which is why he is now an EX...but he was a great deal of inspiration to me. I could go on and on on how he inspired me but I can tell you that he took me fishing for the first time. I also was inspired by his style of artwork and learned a lot about how to improve my style. Now I am inspired by everything around me. I want to take something from everyone I talk to.




9. Where did the inspiration for your shop name, Hook Line Sinker, come from?
I was married for years and me and my exhusband had anchors tattooed on our ring finger. When I got a divorce I wanted to add to my finger tattoos so that the anchor wasn't just by itself. So I added a fishing hook to my pointer finger, a dash line to my middle and so it would represent HOOK LINE SINKER. I have always loved that phrase and knew I wanted to do something with it. I just happened to have a name before I had a use for it.


10. What drew you to creating?
I have always been into drawing and art and making things. There's not a day that goes by that I do not produce something. I have that personality type that feels like there's too much to do and not enough time. I don't want to feel like I didn't live my life to the fullest.



11. Do you have any other job aside from your awesome shop?
I co-own a tattoo shop (No Regrets Tattoo) and have my art gallery/studio (Brass Bell Studios)


12. Do you have a favorite design?
Simple and bright


13. Who is your role model?
Mike Giant


14. What words of wisdom could would you give to aspiring create-tees?
Just do it and network your butt off!


15. What do you want to be when you grow up?
Better at what I'm doing now.

Thanks for tuning in, folks!! I hope you are having as much fun with these interviews as I am. Much thanks to Ashley for your willingness to be featured, you rock, girl!!


Want more?
You can find and like Ashely's work here:
www.facebook.com/HOOKLINESINKER405
www.facebook.com/BrassBellStudios
www.facebook.com/NoRegretsTattoo
www.hooklinesinker.etsy.com
 to be directed to the Hook Line Sinker store, click HERE


Have a great night everyone!
<3 Jonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...